Saturday, August 6, 2016

Vote for Who???

I don't know if I can make it to Tuesday, November 8, 2016. Technically, I don't have to. Not that I wouldn't vote, but here in the 603, we vote by mail-in ballot, so we can vote early. It's not the voting part. I will cast my ballot for someone. It may be a write-in vote for Dr. Johnny Fever, or maybe "None of the Above", but I'll exercise my right to vote. And you should, too. In many countries, you have to have legal I.D. to vote. Many countries, including some 3rd world countries. But apparently in our great nation, some consider it a hardship to get that I.D., even though it's been FOUR YEARS since the last election.

I really don't want to put a lot of verbiage into Ramblings this week, not because I'm lazy or tired (okay, I'm really tired after a long day of yard work), but because I don't need to. I think I can make my point, and no matter who you plan to vote for, you will be able to agree. So here goes.

Don't pay attention to polls. You don't vote for polls, you, hopefully, vote for people. When it comes to believing polls, you don't know where they were conducted. You don't know who was included in the polling. You don't know who actually conducted the poll, and you don't know if they are revealing truthful information or all of the information. Besides, it's much too early.
Don't believe the news. Why would I say that? Sumting Wong? Really, where does news come from? Used to be, investigative journalists went out and, well, investigated. Today's world is very different. There are magazines that no longer employ photographers. While I don't like that cable news channels lean one way or the other, I do have an issue with broadcast channels (ABC, NBC, CBS and any other channel using public airwaves) not being fair and impartial, because they are using the airwaves that belong to the people. Did you know that? Yet, you can't trust them either. News has become big business, and even bigger entertainment. Who can be first. We'll be accurate later. Pick your poison, left or right, don't trust them. I'm not going to say that news reporters can't make mistakes. Most "anchors" just read scripts. But if your news station spends a lot of time saying, "In an update to our earlier report" and the "update" is now a different story from before, don't drink their Kool-Aid. Hopefully by now, we've all grown into reasonable, responsible adults.

So, what am I saying?

Do your own research. Yes, be your own investigative journalist. Check candidates websites. Check their biographies. We have the Internet, and granted, there is a lot of false information out there, but look things up. Stop looking at pictures of cats and food. Pay attention. If a website has a political party's name in it, guess which way they are going to spin their information?
Finally, don't be sheep. Political candidates and elected officials lie. Yes, I was shocked, too. But they do. Sure, they can "make a mistake", but they are better at lying than making mistakes. Remember when rap artists started using partial songs from other bands. No, I don't listen to rap, either, but they do this, and call it sampling. Politicians will lie to you and then tell you that either they "mis-remembered" or "mis-spoke". Like Michael Keaton said in "Night Shift", "Is this a great country or what?"
Oh, I almost forgot. There are two primary candidates recognized as running for President. But there are more. In a day and age where our two primary choices may, other than Casey Anthony or Yoko Ono, be the most hated people in our country. you could choose a third candidate. H. Ross Perot proved that. And while some would argue that a vote for a 3rd candidate would be like voting for the one you like least, remember, more people dislike the primary candidates than like them (that's according to polls that I suggested you ignore). What would happen in this country if newly elected President was not a Republican or Democrat? Something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment